Residential Garage Doors
Bay Area Overhead Door Co. is proud to partner with several exceptional manufacturers of residential garage doors. We offer a large selection of new doors to fit everyone’s needs. If you are wanting to update your home’s curb appeal, we can help you out!
The Different Styles of Residential Garage Doors
There are hundreds of different garage doors out there and each one has many different options to further customize the door. But, they all fall within three style categories. These categories help to break down the selection of doors into groups that match your home and your tastes:
- Carriage House: These doors are inspired by the original garage doors, which were heavy, swing out doors located on the carriage house. Originally, when the first cars started coming out, people still parked them where they parked their carriages. Today, you can have the same look with all the modern technology of the 21st century. Carriage house doors add that rustic charm to any home.
- Traditional: These are your basic raised or recessed panel doors with different window styling options. These are the most common doors out there as they go with any home’s architecture.
- Contemporary/Modern: These are typically custom doors made from a mixture of aluminum and glass and are the bold finishing touch to that modern design.
Stand back from your home and try to visualize the look and style you want for your home. Once you figure out the look you are going for, you know which style to pick.
The Different Materials of Garage Doors
Once you figure out the style you are going for, next you want to figure out which type of material will work best for your home. Garage doors come in a wide variety of materials. Here is a basic overview to help you pick out the material you want:
- Steel: This is the most common choice of material for garage doors as they are versatile, you can paint them or order them with a custom color, they are durable and affordable. Steel doors are nearly maintenance free and easy to clean.
- Vinyl: This is a great option for those with children or if your garage door is behind a basketball hoop and will see lots of wear. Vinyl is dent proof and extremely durable. The one disadvantage is that they don’t come in as many color options and you can’t paint them.
- Aluminum: This is a lightweight material and when combined with glass, offers a truly custom look. Many choose this material if they are looking to extend their garage into outdoor space or even to have an aluminum and glass roll-up door on the side of their home to open out onto a large patio.
- Wood: Offers a warm finishing touch for a luxurious look to your home. The one downside to wood is that they are heavy and also require periodic restaining.
- Fiberglass: This is a great option for those living in coastal towns where your garage door will be exposed to salty and humid sea air. Fiberglass is rust, mold, and weather resistant.
- Windcode: If you live in a high wind prone area, make sure you get a reinforced door that has the windcode seal on it, which means that it has gone through extensive testing to see how it would hold up in a tornado or hurricane.
Give Us a Call to Order Your Door!
After you have a general idea of the style and material you want, give us a call and we can schedule someone to come measure your garage. We are excited to get you on your way to giving your home a makeover! Give Bay Area Overhead Door Co. a call today to order your new residential garage doors.