Replace Broken Rollers
If you are in the market for new garage door rollers, we are here to help you replace broken rollers! Our team of professionals at Bay Area Overhead Door Co. can come out anytime, day or night to replace your rollers. We are proud to partner with quality machine pressed nylon roller manufacturers.
What Are Garage Door Rollers?
The rollers are the wheels attached to your garage door and can be found inside of the track. They are usually either white or steel. Rollers are an essential part of your garage door because they are responsible for opening and closing your door along the tracks.
How Do I Know If I Need to Replace My Rollers?
Garage door rollers are rated to have about the same lifespan as your torsion springs. We recommend having them replaced while we are out replacing your springs, to prevent another service call. It is also important to replace them often because rollers that are starting to wear down can cause wear on other parts of your garage door system, causing things to break prematurely.
Rollers are relatively inexpensive so why not pay a few dollars today instead of having to pay hundreds down the road because worn out rollers broke your opener. You can inspect them about once a year. Here are some things to consider when inspecting your rollers:
- Make sure there are no chunks missing out of your rollers
- Check to see if there are any small cracks in the rollers
- Test the roller out and if it wiggles too much in its shaft or if it doesn’t spin freely in the shaft, it is time to replace them
- If your door keeps coming off the tracks, this is a good indication that your rollers are worn down and need replacement
- Lubricating your rollers a few times a year will increase their lifespan but make sure you don’t lubricate the tracks
- Another sign that you need to replace your rollers is if you hear loud grinding noises while your door is operating. This means the rollers no longer spin freely in the shaft.
How To Replace Garage Door Rollers
Most of the time we replace rollers is while we are out replacing torsion springs. You can call us at any time if you notice any of the above things and we can come out to quickly replace them for you. If you are wanting to replace them, proceed with caution because it is easy to ruin your track and then you have turned your $5 repair into a few hundred dollar repair.
If you have the knowledge to replace your rollers, make sure safety is your priority. Garage doors weigh a few hundred pounds and can cause a lot of damage to people or pets. To replace your rollers:
- Unplug the opener
- Unscrew retainers and hinges (procedures vary depending on the location of the roller) This would be a great time to replace hinges if they need it.
- Remove old rollers and replace with new ones. We recommend nylon rollers as they are more durable and most have a 2-year warranty
- Screw retainers and hinges back in place
- Plug your opener back in and test out the new rollers
- Keep in mind, when you are putting the new rollers in, you will have to angle them to fit into the track
Schedule Someone to Replace Broken Rollers for You
If the task seems too daunting or you just simply don’t have the time to replace broken rollers yourself, give us a call and we would be happy to do the work for you. Give Bay Area Overhead Door Co. a call today and put us to work for you!