Garage Door Maintenance
Most homeowners don’t realize how important garage door maintenance is to the longevity of their garage door system. A properly maintained door will keep working for years to come. Bay Area Overhead Door Co. is ready to do annual garage door maintenance and extend its lifespan.
Why Garage Door Maintenance is Important
When you are going through your home and doing maintenance, most people leave garage door off the list. But, did you know that a properly maintained door can greatly increase the lifespan of your entire system? If one small part of your garage door is off, it can cause wear on other bigger parts causing big repair bills down the road.
If your door is not balanced, it will wear down your springs, drums, and cables, and eventually, cause them to break. If your rollers are worn down, instead of paying a few dollars today for new ones, you will end up paying hundreds for new springs and possibly tracks as well as a new opener. Maintenance only takes a few minutes every few months but it brings a good return on your investment of time.
What We Will Do During a Tune Up
We offer an annual tune-up or more often depending on the usage of your garage door. Our tune-ups are usually done as a package deal with safety inspections. During the tune-up, we will perform the following:
- Clean the tracks, cables, and drums
- Lubricate, with a water-based lubricant, the hinges and bolts, the drums, cables, and springs, the rollers, and the opener if it is a model that requires lubrication
- Tune up on the opener, checking the balance force and adjusting if necessary
- Testing garage door balance and adjusting springs if necessary
- Test out remotes
- Check lighting
- Tighten bolts and other hardware that becomes loose from the rattling as you use your door throughout the year
Our tune-ups are not only affordable but you will often find additional daily deals on tune-ups and inspections. With the money you will save in repair bills down the road, we can’t think of a good reason to not have maintenance done!
The DIY Garage Door Maintenance Checklist
There are a few things that require maintenance every 3-4 months that you can do yourself. You can combine these tasks with a quick visual inspection of your garage door system. Here are our tips for what you can do to keep your garage door working properly:
- Always use a water-based lubricant because a sticky, oil-based lubricant will cause dirt and debris to stick to parts of your system, causing unnecessary wear and friction
- Lubricate the drums, cables, pulleys, torsion springs, and rollers.
- Do not lubricate the tracks as it can cause your door to pop off the tracks and become a safety hazard
- If you find rust, make sure you remove it, wipe it down, then apply lubricant
- Check the owner's manual of your opener to see if it needs lubrication or further maintenance
Call Us Today for Annual Maintenance
Call our team at Bay Area Overhead Door Co. to schedule your annual garage door maintenance tune-up. Keep your garage door working safely and efficiently by calling now!