Garage Door Inspection
It is important to schedule a garage door inspection about once a year. The team at Bay Area Overhead Door Co. offers safety inspections to ensure your door is operating safely. We provide that professional eye to find safety issues before they become a problem.
Safety Inspections on Your Garage Door
Our team can come out to your home about once a year to do a safety inspection. This is generally done in conjunction with our annual tune-ups. During the safety inspection, they will do the following:
- Inspect the tracks for bends or cracks
- Inspect the rollers to make sure they are not loose and can freely rotate within the shaft
- Check your springs
- Inspect your cables and drums to make sure there is no fraying or rust
- Inspect the pulleys to make sure there is no debris or rust
- Test the reverse mechanism to prevent entrapment
- Inspect and test openers
- Pull the emergency release to test your door and make sure it remains in place
- Add important warning labels if yours have worn off over time
- These are just a few of the items they will inspect as part of a safety and general inspection
Important Things You Can Inspect
At any time, you can also inspect your garage door system. It is probably the heaviest piece of equipment in your home and it is important to make sure it is working safely for you and your children and pets. Some things you can do periodically throughout the year:
- Close your door halfway and then pull the emergency release. Make sure the garage door stays suspended after you do so
- Place a board on the floor where your garage door will hit when it is fully closed and then close your door. If it continues to close on the board, then your reverse mechanism is failing or you don’t have one installed. These were mandated by law starting in the early 1990’s to be installed with every garage door.
- Visually inspect your springs for cracks. Also, inspect the cables for any rust or fraying. If you find any, call us right away so we can replace your cable. The cable is vital to keeping your springs from becoming flying projectiles if they break.
Why You Should Have a Professional Inspect Your Garage Door
Our team has a list with over 20 different parts of your system that they will inspect. After doing this for many years and on hundreds of doors, they have developed an eye to detect problems before they become a safety hazard. Not to mention the peace of mind you will have knowing that a professional has given your garage door a clean bill of health.
Schedule Your Garage Door Inspection Today
Go ahead and call our team at Bay Area Overhead Door Co. to schedule your garage door inspection and tune-up. We want to make sure your garage door is safe. Call today!